What things can I do to expedite my remodel?
Due to the nature of remodeling, it is difficult to accurately estimate the length of a project. However, there are some things that you can do in preparation of your remodel that can help speed up the process.
1. Know what you want from the start
Know how you want to use the finished space that you plan to remodel. Making changes to design elements, features, and material selections during your project can slow down your project and create additional costs. This shouldn’t discourage you from making changes during your project, but you should be aware of the additional time and cost you may incur.
2. Make your material selections early on
Once you make your material selections, we place the orders. Depending on the products you chose, it can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to have your selections delivered. Once the materials for your project are delivered, we can progress quickly.
3. Plan on not using the space being remodeled
We can work much faster if we are not working around you. If you cannot live without the functionality of the space being remodeled, expect for the project to take longer.
Will subcontractors and other workers be in my house when I am not at home?
What is a building permit and why would I need one?
A building permit gives legal permission to start a building, improvement, alteration or repair project in accordance with the building codes.
There are several reasons you should get a permit:
- Your home or business is an investment. If your project does not comply with applicable codes, the value of your investment may be reduced.
- Property insurers may not cover work done without permits.
- If you sell your home or building that has been modified without a permit, you may be required to demolish or remove the modification or pay for costly repairs.
- By obtaining permits, complying with code requirements and having all inspections, you are ensuring the safety, health and welfare of yourself, your family and the public.
What could happen if I don't obtain a building permit?
There are several reasons it is imperative that you obtain a permit when a municipality requires one:
- Costly penalties could be assessed for work that has been done without a permit from the building department.
- Insurance companies do not normally insure property that has been improved without permits or that has not been inspected by a certified inspector.
- The illegal work performed may create unsafe or hazardous conditions that could result in injury or even death.
- The process to obtain a permit after the fact is the same as the process to obtain a permit in the first place.