How do you know if you should tackle that home improvement project on your own or hire someone to take care of it for you? It’s a topic we love discussing with people when we participate in Home & Garden Shows so we thought it might make a great blog. Below we’ve prepared a list of questions to ask yourself before you start your next project. Hopefully they will help you evaluate the situation and make an informed decision.
If you are considering Doing It Yourself, consider the following before you start the job:
- Do you actually enjoy physical labor?
- Once you start a project, do you tend to follow through?
- Do you have the proper tools for the job?
- Do you have the skills necessary to complete the job in question?
- Do you have the time to complete the project?
Keep in mind, you should always assume it’s going to take
longer than you think! Our advice, Double or Triple your
- Are you prepared to handle the stress completing the project may cause in your family?
- Is this a job you can do by yourself, or will you need assistance?
- Are you familiar with your local building codes and permit requirements?
- Is it safe for you to do this project?
- If it doesn’t come out right, how will you feel?
If the main reason you are thinking about going the DIY route is for financial reasons, we have a few other things we suggest you consider.
Makes sure you have included all the costs. You’ll of course think about the materials you’ll need but also think about the time investment, the additional specialized tools you might need. PLEASE also factor in oversights and surprises that always seem to appear when it comes to completing a home improvement project. What will you do if you start the project and are unable to complete it and must end up hiring someone OR if it doesn’t turn out like you’ve planned and need to have the job redone?
Master Remodelers has been transforming homes throughout East Tennessee for over 20 years. We love helping homeowners complete their home improvement projects. If you’ve evaluated the checklist above and have decided that you may need to look for a contractor with the knowledge and skills necessary to complete your home renovation project, give us a call and we’ll do it The Master Way!